India’s long ambition of being a part of the ongoing battle royale of web browsers is fulfilled today with the rolling out of Epic Web Browser, the first-ever browser of the country. This wonderful feat has been achieved by Hidden Reflex, a software and web application product startup based in Bangalore.
Built on the Mozilla platform, Epic has certain striking features that make it a unique browser altogether. The first time when I opened the browser for a firsthand experience, I saw a peacock with full blown feathers. And it was enchanting enough. Here is what Epic looks like:
Some of its unique features are:
• An inbuilt anti-virus, powered by ESET, whose NOD 32 product is very popular the world over
• India centric with support for 12 different Indian languages including Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Bengali, Tamil, Malayalam, Urdu and Punjabi
• Indic app allows for typing in these Indian languages
• More than 1500 themes ranging from freedom fighters to film stars to represent the unity in diversity of the country
• A word processor to create or edit documents
• India specific news from popular publications
• Social Networking sites like Facebook and Twitter on the sidebar, apart from YouTube( watchable in a pop-up window), Gmail and Yahoo
• Other useful sidebar widgets include Travel, Stocks, Maps, and Jobs
• File backup and My Computer utilities
A team of 12 engineers have been coding and developing really for the last two years to come up with this indigenous, yet promising web browser. This is what Alok Bhardwaj, CEO of the company has to say, “Epic will be useful to all types of users, including hard-core multi taskers and newbies.”
All said and done, Epic does not seem to be another run-of-the mill browser. But it will definitely need some time, if not a lot, for it to make its presence felt in the market that is already being dominated by Mozilla Firefox.
You can downloaded Epic here.
Please post your comments about this browser. I will be downloading this little browser and giving the once over. Look for my review in the coming days.